Thursday, May 14, 2015

God's Sovereignty in the Mundane

 Everyday Life, Washing Dishes, Cup




 I want to be a woman who goes through the mundane things of this life with grace and thanksgiving. I want to be a woman who sings as she washes dishes, laughs when children make sticky messes, and is still kind to others while struggling to find a job.

 I want to be a woman who trusts and believes in the sovereignty of God through pain, joy, and everyday life. Because at least for me right now, every day life is the hardest part.

 When my grandfather died last October I was devastated. But I knew how to cry, how to grieve, how to share with others, how to ask for help and prayer, how to cry out to God.

 When I was offered an exciting academic opportunity for next semester I knew how to celebrate, how to lay on my bed incredulous, how to thank God, how to share my joy with friends.

 Now, as I navigate my summer as a 21 year old that feels 16 again as I live in the house that has been my home since the age of five, as I am treated like a visitor in my home church, as I try to find a job that is at least somewhat related to my creative writing major, as I begin classes after just finishing them, as friends leave for far and exciting places and leave me behind, I don't know what to do. I feel more lost in the mediocre.

 However, God's sovereignty has not collapsed just because I am dealing with seemingly mundane things. He is with me in my pain, my joy, and everyday life. Why should I treat job searching and washing dishes any differently than a death in the family or an exciting adventure? Through it all, God is with me and has an amazing plan for me even if it is working at a seemingly meaningless job and taking a geography class during the summer.

 I need to glorify God through death, joyful opportunities, and loads of dirty dishes, because in the end, when I stand before my maker, the circumstances will not matter. Only my response will.

 So I pray I will dance with the broom, study hard for summer exams, and focus on glorifying God in whatever way he chooses to bless me with money.

5 comments:

  1. Allison, thank you so much for sharing this! I am in a similar place in life right now. God has been teaching me how to be content and joyful in all things. Contentment isn't something that comes with the circumstances. It's an art we have to practice. :)

    Dani from A Vapor in the Wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Wise words about contentment!

      Delete
  2. Good reminder Allison! I have been feeling similar to you lately, even this very day. I must do all things to the glory of God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thoughts! I'm in the same position as you. It's so easy for me to get tired of doing the things that seem "unimportant." However, they are so important (and they build character!).

    ReplyDelete