Monday, April 20, 2015

Frightening Truth

Sunset, Alone, Thinking, Woman, Girl



 I had an idea the other day.

 No, let me rephrase that. I had a reoccurring thought, but for the first time it made sense in my head, and for the first time I realized that I could follow it and should follow it.

 But I am scared.

 This idea is a website, a blog, for single Christian girls. A community where we could encourage each other, a tangible reminder that we are not alone, a place to share the truth of the gospel within the context of the situation we find ourselves in. Really, what I have been searching for and imagine others like me are searching for, too.

 But I am scared.

 Scared because I do not seem equipped for this. Scared that it will not actually reach my sisters in Christ. Scared to admit my deepest desire. But mostly scared because I find myself single. Still. When I wanted to be very not single in a Christian culture that celebrates marriage, living on a campus where many are married before they graduate. So not only am I single, but I have believed the lies that because marriage does not even seem like a possibility after graduation, I am a failure and it is too late for me to ever be married.

And now I am considering proclaiming it to the world.

 But I must share the truth with others and myself.

 I am 21 years old. I am single.I am a failure, but not because no man has ever liked me enough to pursue me. Rather, I am a failure because I am a sinner. But I have a Savior who loves me so much that He died for me, and through Him I can claim to be a child of God- the exact opposite of failure. I trust in a God that only has what is best for me. So I am a 21 year old single who is reaching out to other singles. And I will not lose hope because only God knows what my future is, and even if it never involves marriage, I will someday spend eternity with God in heaven- my GREATEST desire.

 So what are your thoughts? Would you be interested in a blog devoted to living the single, Christian life? What would benefit you as you navigate this journey called singleness?

7 comments:

  1. You definitely should follow through with it! There are SO MANY girls out there, desperate for marriage that would be greatly encouraged. I think the thing that would benefit me the most would be reminders that right now, while we have the time, we should be focusing on God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback, Kelpie. Yeah, what do while waiting is key. I'll add that to my growing list of topics.

      Delete
  2. This is the first post I've read on your blog so far Allison, and I am encouraged to read it. :)
    You should follow through with this idea! As a single 20-year-old seeing girls who are my peers (no close friends yet!) marrying and entering relationships, my heart can feel a little, well, disheartened. A place of mutual encouragement would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, Paige. :) And thanks for the encouragement!
      Yes, I've had a very good friend get married, and others will be getting married soon. It's hard to watch them go through that transition when you are not.

      Delete
  3. Hey Allison! I am a single college student as well, and I can't tell you how much it encourages me to see you pursuing contentment in your singleness and how you want to encourage others to do the same. Your idea for a website is a great one! Like Kelpie said, there are so many girls out there that think that they have to get married right away and they forget that singleness is a special gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith! Thanks for your encouraging words and support. I was actually thinking of having the title of the website to have something to do with gift. :) Great words!

      Delete
  4. Hey Allison, I just nominated you for the Random Questions award (if you want to do it).

    http://createdbythecreated.blogspot.com/2015/04/random-questions-tag.html

    ReplyDelete